Thursday, January 16, 2014

Time for Some Goals

For Family Home Evening a few weeks ago, Jon wanted to work on Goals for the new year together. He had all kinds of good ideas for personal and family goals. I quickly became overwhelmed and just cried. I told him that if I can survive having a baby, learning to feed him, and care for him, and still be a decent wife, then I would be doing ok. I just feel so overwhelmed at times. I loved the idea of doing goals- we do them every year, but it just felt like way too much for me. The last few days though, I have been feeling like I really need to make some goals- I don't want to become complacent or get stuck in a rut. I also want to give myself credit for any small accomplishment towards my goals, rather than beating myself up if I don't complete them perfectly. So without further ado...

1) When I tell someone I will pray for them/their family- mean it and do it (I think I always mean to do it but just forget sometimes. I really want to make a conscience effort to remember).

2) Pray for missionary experiences, speak up, and invite- I get SO nervous even praying for experiences because I know they will come. I am not ashamed of the gospel but it is hard for me to share, especially with all of the negative ideas that are out there about LDS. It is so special to me that I don't want any controversial arguments to spark because of it.

3) Read more/be still. I have gotten into a rut where I just don't enjoy reading- it bores me. My mind races and I have so many ideas, it is just so hard to sit and be still. I do everything fast paced (just like my mom!). I was shocked when I married Jon because he doesn't rush around all of the time but he works extremely hard- he really helps me stay in balance. Also, Jon is so studious and I want to be more like that.

4) Improve even more at budgeting and saving money.

5) 100% visiting teaching (or realistically, improve on what I did last year- which was an improvement on past years)

6) Find a hobby or a class or something for me to do to give me fulfillment outside of home, church, and work. I really want to volunteer again but I know this will be tricky with a new baby, especially at first. I also want to take a class- yoga or pottery or maybe even Karate. I would love to coach sports again too. But I won't do all of this at once- these are just some ideas I have.

7) More meaningful prayers- so many nights I embarrassingly pray so absentmindedly. I will thank Heavenly Father for a good night's rest as we are praying before bed. I just don't think and I rush sometimes. I want to say sincere prayers that are more thought out. I also want to pray out loud more individually.

No comments:

Post a Comment