In April 2010 I graduated from college. I had just finished up student teaching in Vegas and had returned home to Colorado to start the search for a job. As I started applying I felt a particular pull towards the South. I wasn't sure what it was, but I had a feeling that the woman I was to marry was out there. It seemed super odd to me because I knew that the church wasn't as strong in that area, and I had never been anywhere close to the South. So I started to apply more to schools and districts in Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. After almost two months of applying to what felt like 20 schools a day, I was finally contacted by two school administrators. One was from a school in CO, and one was from NC. I interviewed with both, and both interviews went well, but I felt a pull towards the school in NC. I don't even remember applying to the school, but when they contacted me, I looked it up, and I felt really good about the school. They offered me a job, and I started getting ready to move across the country. The chief administrator put me in contact with an member who worked in the office at the school. She then told the bishop that I would be moving out, and he immediately offered for me to stay at his home. Honestly I felt a little awkward about that, and I didn't want to do it. We emailed back and forth, and finally I decided to stay there. I remember making the two fourteen-hour day drive out to NC the first Friday and Saturday of August, right after a family reunion. I was greeted at the bishop's house late Saturday night by their house sitter because they were at their own family reunion. I met them a few days after already living in their home. I soon found out what good people they were. They are always willing to give everything to everyone. That's why they didn't think twice about letting me live with them. I felt odd, and slightly uncomfortable at first, but I soon grew to love the bishop (Parry) and his wife Kay. They helped me find an apartment, and I moved out after a month of living with them. While living with them I found out that they had five kids. The youngest was Janet, and she was right about my age. I remember looking at their family pictures on the wall, and Bishop telling me that he would like for me to meet her sometime. I didn't think too much of it. She was pretty, and she must have been nice because she was their daughter, but she lived all the way out in Utah. Besides that I was dating a girl in the ward at that time. That ended up not working out, and it didn't last long. Neither of us felt right about it at all. I wondered if there was something wrong with me since that seemed to happen with every girl I tried to date. I was getting super frustrated.
Then I met Janet.
It was a Wednesday night, and I was at scouts (I'm the 11 year old scout leader). I remember being in the gym and looking out in the lobby and seeing Kay come in with her dad and with Janet. I don't know if they saw me but I ducked back into the gym to play some with the boys. She was even more beautiful than in her pictures. I kept telling myself, "Be cool Jon, Be cool". Finally Kay came by to introduce us. "Janet, this is my son Jon. He has your couch". And her grandpa introduced himself as a fancy flower. It was all a little awkward, but I was so excited to meet her. I made a point of walking around a lot that night so I could see her.
Thursday morning I went back to the church to play basketball and she showed up with her dad Perry. It was a good game, and when we finished we all sat around and rested. Perry invited me to go with them to a football game the next day, and I happily accepted. It was most of Janet's family. Her nephew sat between us for most of the game. When they all got up to go get snacks I scooted closer to Janet so we could finally get to talk a bit. When her nephea came back he forced me to scoot back over because I was in "his spot". Over the next few days I spent a lot of time at Janet's house. It was so nice just talking to her and playing games with the family. I think we got to know each other well during that time. On Sunday night we had to say goodbye because I was going back to work in the morning, and she was flying back to Utah Monday night. It wasn't anything spectacular, but we said goodbye. She stayed on my mind all night Sunday, and all day Monday and I finally decided that I needed to talk to her. I texted her dad asking for her number (which I never do... ever) and then I sent her a text wishing her a safe trip.
Over the next few months we talked a lot through facebook messages and eventually through Skype. Every time I thought of marriage, I thought of her. It just made sense. It scared the crap out of me as well. She invited me to see her in Georgia in April. She was going there for her newest nephew's blessing. I hesitated quite a bit, but I finally decided that I would never know what was going on if I didn't go. It was incredible being with her. After that we skyped a lot more, and messaged a lot more. I invited her out to Colorado for my youngest sister's high school graduation at the end of May, and she came to that. That's where I told her I loved her. After that we started talking about rings and marriage, and soon I was in Utah to propose to her and help her move back to North Carolina.
It was fast, but we knew it was right. We were in love. As hard as it was getting to know each other over such great distances, it was so fantastic. We were able to talk so much, and actually get to know each other well. It worked out perfectly. We were instant best friends. That's exactly what I had been waiting for; my best friend.
it was fun to read from a mans perspective jonny :) you betta take good care of her or else hahaha
ReplyDelete